In honor of my best friend's, ummmm......24th birthday, I walked down to the corner cafe and had a Belgian beer in her honor (she is 8 months pregnant with their fourth child after all...the least I could do is throw one back for her!)
While it would have been better to have her sitting across from me with a lemonaid and a funny Baby story...it was also nice to sit there, in the warm-but-cool evening air, and work on sketching out a story that has been itching to be told.
So I know I just posted that sometimes I want to run headlong back to the 'hood...truth. But sometimes it is just as easy to be totally content and happy here too. Weird? Maybe.
1 comment:
It's so weird how our lives parallel...I was just sitting in a Starbucks--with a cup of coffee-- thinking about many things, one of which was a short story idea that keeps hounding me!!!
My experience was a bit like the cheap knock off of yours, though. You're in a cafe in Europe; with a good beer; probably beautiful weather; and undoubtedly a better story idea. And I am here in an overly-chilled, corporate 'bux (not even a cool one...it was one of those little, strip mall ones with no carpeted areas, only a couple comfy chairs, and a handful of way too small round tables); with a bitterly strong drip coffee; a chill in the air that the newsman just referred to as 'an early fall'; and a hodgepodge of images I can't knit into a plot!!
The hood ain't so special. But, maybe that's because it is currently without the sparkle of Ms. Theut!
Post a Comment