Monday, March 30, 2009

So is this what meaningless looks like?

Wow. How the world turns. Last night, I posted my jolly little post about a messy apartment. And then decided to check the Detroit papers because I was totally out of the loop on NCAA hype. I don’t really care about college basketball (go Beloit Bucs?!), but since the Final Four will be played in the D, I wanted to see how preparations in the ‘hood were coming along.

And then WHAM. BAM. Wowza. The home page of DetNews was reporting that my company’s CEO would be stepping down.

What? I had just hung up with my Mom and she hadn’t mentioned a thing. So I called her back. News to her. Then I called MO who generally knows all things. She didn’t know either. Maybe it was just a nasty rumor.

Unfortunately, it was all true…all of it.

And ever the leader, he’ll take this one for the team.

As I choked up reading his note to employees today, I also realized what a stark example of the ‘meaninglessness’ of things that seem so full of meaning, but are really just here today and gone tomorrow. Yesterday, he was Chairman and CEO of one of the world’s great companies…and at the whim of some Washington bureaucrat, well, today, he’s not.

Meanwhile, I’m in rare form today. Kinda grumpy, a little maudlin, tensely optimistic with a giant knot in my neck. Even took on two of my colleagues in Germany before lunch—totally breaking the 24-hour rule that my first boss wisely taught me.

Oh the twists and turns of life.

“Take a good look at God’s work. Who could simplify and reduce Creation’s curves and angles to a plain straight line? On a good day, enjoy yourself; on a bad day, examine conscience. God arranges for both kinds of days so that we won’t take anything for granted.” Ecclesiastes 7:13-14 (The Message)

Fair enough.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Grumpy, maudlin...I think we're having the same day (I'm enjoying the joys of the corporate re-org). I've got the tense down too...the optimism is a little more tenuous but I keep thinking about that Amy Hempel story...how do we know that what happens to us isn't good. Thinking of you and sending my hugs to Belgium.

Jodi said...

Oh my dear Lizard! Thanks for reminding me of the Amy Hempel story. Have been checking my mailbox for a poem but??? no pressure. :-) sending many hugs back to you in Chi-town.